Thursday, October 18, 2007

The Great Desktop Linux Debate

Yeah, it's a radical jump in topics to go from problems in the recording industry to something like the debate surrounding Linux on the desktop. However, aside from being the frontman of a heavy metal band, I consider myself to be somewhat of a techie.

Now it seems I can't go a day without seeing a post on the Digg frontpage that has something to do with whether or not Linux will ever be a viable alternative to Windows for the every day user. I'm going to throw my two cents into the debate because I happen to be a Linux user myself.

Personally I think the debate itself is stupid. Who really gives a shit. Linux users? Why would they? Linux has been around for over 16 years, and while it's closer than ever to being a viable alternative to Microsoft's expensive proprietary Windows operating system, it's not going to cease to exist if it fails to become widely accepted by the masses by 2008. The developers will continue to develop and Linux will continue marching on, just as they have been since 1991.

I'm a Kubuntu user myself, and while it's great to see the platform succeed, it's not going to kill me if it doesn't crack 20% market share any time soon. Speaking of which, if you're reading this you probably already know this, but the newest Ubuntu release will be available beginning today. Get it here!

No comments: